Skip to main content

SHORT STORY: "Confessions"

 © Jonty Cornford 2019



Diary entry #1
26 February, 2017


I’m not really sure why I’m writing this, but I’ll get it down anyway before I lose my nerve. It’s like I need to, like an exorcism. Like maybe once it’s down it will be less real, and I might be able to sleep a little better at night. One can hope, I guess.
     My hope is that by sending you this selection of my life’s work you will understand the whole story that I have been hiding from the whole time.
     I never used to feel like this. I always thought my life would end up exactly how I had planned it, that I would be able to look back and see everything perfectly in order. A normal life. What does that look like? It’s almost funny to me now how set I was on finding something I wasn’t even sure existed in the form I wanted. It’s awful how ironic life can be sometimes.
    There has been a darkness bearing down on me, something dragging at my heels. I’ve always been prone to melancholy, but not like this. I never used to think about death as much as I do now – not in a suicidal kind of way, just that everyday kind that makes your dinner taste that little bit more dull, or your feet slightly colder when you lie awake in bed at night.
      Night has fallen outside and the rain is drumming against the window. So many things have lost their interest to me, but one thing that still turns me into a little boy is the rain. It’s sort of like the rain just washes all the excess away and leaves me in my purest and best form. The drumming against the window across my study is more relaxing than any therapist’s couch or warm bath or woman’s touch; it restores me.
      But not tonight.
      I never used to feel like this.
     In all honesty this is the seventh attempt at writing this tonight. It didn’t start out as a letter, but as I continued to write all the things that won’t even make it onto this draft I realised with absolute certainty that it’s addressed to you.
    Except, of course, it isn’t. But it is. Fill the margins with notes, dog-ear the pages and break the binding – these are my stories and they are all that I have left. Just don’t look too deep or you might accidently find who I am.
    Who I really am. It’s there waiting for you – or me, I’m not sure.



“A Seashell”
12 June, 1998



Yesterday

I found a seashell.

Smooth,

               small,

                           fit right in my palm.



                                      I threw it into the ocean,
                                     Watched it drown under the black foam.



                          I told myself I didn’t want to keep it anyway.



“A Conversation”
6 April, 2004


      “Are you fucking kidding me?”
      “ What makes you say that?”
      “The way you’re telling me this without being able to wipe that fucking smile off your face, like this is all some kind of hilarious joke to you.”
      “The only thing I find funny about this is the way you’re reacting to this. Calm down, it’s not the end of the world.”
      “Of course it’s not the end of the world, but how am I going to get you to take this seriously without acting like it is?”
      “Don’t be absurd, of course I’m taking this seriously.”
      “Then wipe that shit-eating grin off your face, cunt.”
      “Don’t call me that ever again.”
      “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that.”
      “Yes, you did. I can tell when you don’t mean it, but this time you did.”
      “I’m sorry.”
      “No you’re not.”
      “No, I’m sorry that I meant it this time. Because you’re right, I did.”
      “Whatever.”


Diary Entry #2
19 September, 2017


It’s been a while between drinks from me. I haven’t even had the motivation to pick up a pen lately, which is scarier than the inability to get anything out of said pen. I’ve been trying hard to forget, and sometimes I succeed for a while. And it helps for a while, I think, but it doesn’t last. Nothing lasts. But you already knew that, didn’t you?
     Maybe you’re reading this and wondering if it is addressed to you. If you are the one, you probably already knew that. I haven’t told you, but I’m sure you’ve been able to read between the lines, pull apart the margins and join the dots that I have so painstakingly uncovered from beneath the skin I keep drawn so tight.  
      I dropped all of these pages the other day, and try as I might I am fairly sure nothing is in the right order anymore. Not that the linear nature of these works were ever important, but please pay attention to the dates if you wish to get any kind of representation of the normal passage of time.
      Some of the pages slid under my bed, and when I reached under to find them I found the jar I broke in ’87. Do you remember the one? Do you remember what we kept in it? Even after I did my best to put it back together, the scars were still visible all over the rough clay I moulded so carefully as a young man. But that didn’t matter to you, did it?
      You were never able to help me the way I wanted. But I know now that was my fault.



“Tomorrow”
6 December 2001



 






“The Explanation Of Everything”
5 November, 2012














[page missing]

































[page missing]

































[page missing]
































[page missing]


















Excerpt from “When Your Plane Lands”
16 July 1989


It’s a dense, sordid Sunday afternoon in February. It’s the hottest part of the day, but the lounge room is pleasantly cool, the air conditioning having been working tirelessly for most of the day. Most people are shut in their homes, the humidity too overbearing and sapping to allow for any outdoor activities. The local park is empty, void of dogs running after old tennis balls, soccer mums jogging in expensive active wear, or couples lying beneath the trees that line the cricket field. For locals the back half of February is known as a time to catch up on TV shows you’ve always wanted to see, read that book you’ve always wanted to read, have afternoon naps and enjoy life from within the insulation of your own home. The stillness is intercut with the occasional crack of leather on wood, the sound of a couple of dedicated cricketers down at the nets, training on through the heat. It lasts for no longer than twenty minutes, the last woody slap hanging in the sun, slowly melting and running down the drain.
The ashy redolence hanging in the air suggests a bushfire somewhere, a regular occurrence during the transition between summer and autumn in this part of Sydney. A hot breeze tinkles the wind chimes lazily on the landing. There’s a lonely ice cream van somewhere, no one venturing out to the tune of Greensleeves despite the offer of a cold treat.
           Fiona is damp with sweat from the drive home from work, not doing any favours for her already sour mood. It’s funny how a single phone call can completely ruin your day. A pleasant day at work in the air-conditioned office doing not much at all, enjoying the prospect of Sunday pay, turned into a distinctly unenjoyable car ride home in a sweat-box of a car. There was nothing good on the radio. On the other hand, for those who know Fiona it’s not that funny at all, rather a relatively standard series of events.
         She storms down the street, leaving the car running in the gravel driveway, to her neighbour’s house; her father’s house.
            She told him she was coming.
‘I can’t believe how selfish you’re being, Alan! I mean, I – you can’t just drop this on me now.’ She starts talking almost before she’s entered the front door. Fiona is rapidly descending into one of her ugly moods, and she knows it. She doesn’t really give a shit these days, though.
            ‘Why don’t you ever call me Dad anymore, Fi? What happened to you?’
Alan is bringing two mugs of tea out from the kitchen, still in his faded old blue dressing gown and matching slippers at almost four in the afternoon. He had time to prepare himself for a confrontation, and is doing his best to ride out the onslaught. His calloused hands shakily place the mugs onto matching equally worn wooden coasters on the coffee table between the two of them. Fiona hasn’t sat down, hands firmly on hips. Her eyes turn into these terrifying, beady glimpses of fury when she’s in these moods, and Alan has learnt to avoid looking into them. Better to ride out the storm than provoke her further.
         ‘How am I supposed to figure out my week now? Or any week, for God’s sake? Leon’s piano lessons start on Tuesday and I’m at work all day, I need you to take him there. Jesus, how am I supposed to get to the Foxtrot on Thursdays now if I have to get Leon to and from soccer? You’re really something.’
Her words are spilling out faster than she intended, but today she isn’t trying to slow down or measure them either.
‘I mean, Jesus H. Christ you’re something. You really are someth-’
          ‘Fi, I haven’t seen you in weeks. Can you sit down?’ The weariness in his delivery more than the words themselves is what stops her and pulls her down into one of the four armchairs. ‘Tea?’ Alan reclines deep into his armchair, looking intently through the space between the two of them while rubbing his left forefinger and thumb together, slowly, habitually.
Fiona has perched herself on the edge of the cushion, obviously not intent on staying seated for very long, as if she knows exactly how this conversation is going to pan out. They have been through the exact same routine countless times before. She yells, he listens, she leaves.
            ‘Dad,’ she uses the word with caution, like it doesn’t quite fit well in her mouth, ‘I really need you to think about this from my perspective. Try to have some sympathy for your daughter.’
            ‘Fi, this has been coming for a long time, surely you know this. This can’t really be a surprise to you, can it?’ There’s a sense of tired amusement in his leathery voice. He is old, but his wit and intelligence have never even begun to leave him. ‘I can’t keep going on forever. I’m getting old. Look at me.’
            Fiona puts her mug down a little too hard, tea spilling onto the coffee table. She pretends not to notice.
            ‘Fuck that.’
            ‘Fi, please…’
            ‘No, fuck that, you can’t do this to me, cunt. Fuck you. You’re meant to be looking after me, but I guess that’s a bit too hard for you. It’s always been a bit too hard for you, hasn’t it? Well, this isn’t something you can just walk away from, this has to do with your grandson too, you know. I know he’s the only one in this family you still care about, so do it for him, if no one else.’ Her voice wavers a little as she pushes herself up awkwardly. She is starting to sound not in control, falling apart.
            ‘Would you listen to me and calm down? This isn’t something I can control—I’m getting old. I can’t look after myself anymore, not without Jen here to look after me. I know you know that, you have no issue reminding me yourself. I have to go, they’ll look after me there. It’ll their job to look after me, for Christ’s sake, and I’m sure they’ll be a damn sight better at it than you ever have been.’
            ‘What does this have to do with you? This is about me! This is about what I need! I can’t look after Leon without you.’
            Alan can’t pretend to be patient anymore, his control slips away.
            ‘Of course it is, what was I thinking? It’s always about you! That’s all I’m here for, isn’t it, just to look after you!’
            ‘Because that’s what fathers are for! That’s what you’re meant to do!’
            ‘Goddammit, Fiona – do you have any idea how hard it is being responsible for you? How much bullshit I have put up with? How much I had to sacrificed for you? And not because I wanted to. I mean, at the start, of course I wanted to. But as soon as you were old enough to tell me how I wasn’t good enough, the fact that you are my daughter has been all that has kept me here. I hope you realise that.’
            An ugly silence in the room.
Alan’s isn’t used to raising his voice – he can’t remember the last time he let those emotions surface like that – and he can already feel an uncomfortable tightness around his Adam’s apple to go with the churning in his turbid stomach. Fiona is staring wildly at Alan across the room, a feral charge in her eyes. He has never replied like that before, and she is taken aback.
How many times has he wanted to say those things and held back, she wondered. He never speaks like that. He’s always just sat back, taken it and said nothing. For a split second a shard of shame passes through her, and she glimpses something of the frustration and desperation her father has lived with for as long as she’s been around. It passes almost immediately when she remembers the logistical predicament he has put her in by deciding to fuck off to a retirement home.
‘I don’t want you to ever talk to me like that again, Fiona – I may be a huge disappointment to you, and I’m sorry about that, I really am – but I’m still your father, as much as it pains me to say it.’ Alan choses his words carefully and lets them pause before evaporating. ‘I want you to think about what this means, if you’re able to. I have reached the stage in my life where I am no longer able to take care of myself, and I’m taking responsibility for that by allowing myself to move on. I want you to realise how much you used me.’
He no longer meets her gaze, but rather eyes the small hole in his slipper, through which his bog toe protrudes slightly.
Fiona sits down then gets up again quickly and ungainly, and bustles out of the living room towards the front door, picking up her handbag on the way out from next to the threshold and exhaling loudly in vague vowel sounds. She pushes the fly-screen open loudly, and stops before leaving, searching for something to say.
She arrives at nothing and instead exits silently into the smoky summer afternoon.



Diary Entry #3
28 November 2017


Somewhere along the way I made a discovery. For the longest time I wasn’t sure what the point of all of this was, and the thought of finding out always seemed like something that was beyond possibility. But here I am, at what I suppose is the end, writing to you in an attempt to wrap together what is my best attempt at representing my life’s work. Perhaps now you have figured out the great fallacy that my life is – I pray that you do not hold me in too much contempt by the time you reach the end. There truly once was a kernel of truth to be found in the tragic story of my love, and while it may have been lost somewhere along the way I still believe that it has been of great value to me, and hopefully to you too.
         I find myself at a point of finality here, and I’m not sure what scares me more; the thought of having completed what I set out to do, or the thought of what you might think when you read it. There are so many things that I want to say to you, but I wouldn’t know where to start or where to finish. I guess it’s now just a matter of trusting you to understand what I am trying to say with these words.

            I ask again that you don’t hold it against me – I promise that it started with good intentions. I just wanted to write a good story.


© Jonty Cornford 2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Response To 'Christian' Views On Secular Music

Is there such thing as music that Christians shouldn’t listen to? Should we be dismissive of music with either explicit language or sexual, violent or substance oriented themes? Should anyone even be telling anyone else what they can and can’t listen to? These are questions that are thrown around a lot in Christian circles, and given what I do here on this blog and how that overlaps with my job working for the church, I thought I would share my thoughts on this topic. I’ll say this at the outset so that we’re on the same page – I think any attempt to dictate what people should and shouldn’t listen to is stupid and disrespectful on a fundamental level. I’ll go into detail about why I think that later on, but for now here are some thoughts I have on some of the “Christian” opinions I come across pretty regularly. The first and most ludicrous thing that seems to follow me around is the idea that because I listen to underground genres, particularly on the heavy metal

1 YEAR LATER: "22, A Million" by Bon Iver

   Bon Iver's third studio album turns 1 in about a week (where did that year go?), so I thought it would be interesting to talk a bit about how my impressions of the album have changed - or how they haven't - over the last 12 months. When this album was released I was more excited than I think I ever have been to hear a new album. For Emma, Forever Ago is one of my all time favourites, and I love his self-titled second album too, so I had huge expectations for this album, but was also wary that expectations might ruin my experience of the music. This was particularly the case for 22, A Million , because it is unlike anything else Justin Vernon has released. There have been hints at this more processed, electronic direction previously, like the song "Woods" on the Blood Bank EP and occasional flourishes on Bon Iver , but 22, A Million is a drastic departure from the Bon Iver sound we had grown accustomed to at this point in time. Or at least, that's what I thought

Should Brand New be in my top 20? (CONTENT WARNING: sexual abuse)

    For those who read both top 20 albums lists that I did - one here on thatmusicnerd and one over at Kill Your Stereo - you will have noticed, I'm sure, that one had The Ongoing Concept's album Places at number 1, and the other had Brand New's Science Fiction at the top. Full disclosure, I initially had Brand New at the top of just the one list, but the readership of Kill Your Stereo reacted very strongly against the allegations of sexual misconduct against Brand New frontman Jesse Lacey and so I removed it entirely. In fact, none of the  KYS contributors' top 20 lists featured Science Fiction at all. Of course I was happy to follow the general consensus in regards to whether or not an artist accused of such things should be promoted by a music publication, but I still stand by my opinion that Science Fiction was the best album of 2017 and as such it was number 1 on my thatmusicnerd top 20 list.    2017 has been a pretty crazy year in terms of the fairly b