Skip to main content

ALBUM REVIEW: "Jesus Is King" by Kanye West

We are at the point in Kanye's career where weird and unexpected album rollouts - often seemingly random and unprofessional from the outside - have become commonplace. By the time we had been given a third release date for what was supposedly going to be Kanye West's ninth album Jesus Is King there had been so much noise and meaningless chatter and back and forth on the internet from not only Kanye himself but seemingly everyone else in the music industry that I was on the verge of not caring anymore. Normally I try to take every album on its own merit as much as I can and take outside influence and context to further inform my opinion as is appropriate, but in the case of Jesus Is King all of the bullshit surrounding it was unavoidable. I was always going to have something to say about the idea of Kanye West releasing a "gospel album", and by the time it was actually available to listen to my mind had almost entirely been made up already. Which was unfair to a degree, because there are certainly admirable things to be found on Jesus Is King, but by and large the feelings I had about what a Kanye West gospel album would be like were realised in some form or another.

First of all, the lyrical content. Let me make this clear; this is not going to be some kind of evaluation of West as a person and as a Christian, something that I have seen far to much of on the internet (although to be fair I will probably address this issue at some point in the near future on it's own blog post). Let me also make this clear; Jesus Is King is not so much a gospel album about God as it is an album about Kanye himself and his own views and beliefs. Which is fine, but I don't buy for a second his claim that he charges the absurd prices he does for shoes and merch for the sake of keeping his family from starving. Not only is it plain that Jesus Is King is really an album about Kanye, but it is equally as plain that Kanye really does try. Because it oozes a sense of real honesty and transparency, something that has started to appear on Kanye releases in recent years, particularly on last year's ye. This yields patchy results, though. In places it generates some real nuance and power, but in others it really just highlights Kanye's delusions, questionable theology, narcissism and indulgences. There are some fantastic moments, but for each one of those there are a few moments that can only be described as Kanye attempting to write about God but really just addressing himself, his public profile and his very public struggle with mental health. Unfortunately, because this is a gospel album (supposedly), this comes across as self-indulgent, whiney and annoying rather than intensely personal or affecting.


At only 27 minutes Jesus Is King is another entry in the pantheon of shorter releases Kanye has been involved with recently - ye, the amazing Kid Kudi collaboration album KIDS SEE GHOSTS, and Pusha T's Daytona in particular. But whereas those projects were short, sharp and to the point, getting in and out and leaving everything on the table, Jesus Is King largely feels unfinished. Case in point, the baffling final track "Jesus Is Lord" which stops seemingly randomly after less than a minute, an instance made more baffling by the fact that it is the final moment of the album. There are a multitude of great musical ideas, and unsurprisingly it sounds phenomenal from a production point of view, but for the most part those great musical ideas are left in the state that they are initially presented to us, undeveloped and undercooked. There are glimpses of what you would expect from an artist of this calibre in terms of songwriting on tracks like "Selah" and "God Is", but beyond that the tracklist feels incredibly underwhelming and without any real momentum or direction. Jesus Is King comes and goes quickly but not in a good way, in a way that leaves you without any real takeaways or memorable moments to encourage repeated listens.

So in summary, as you can probably tell I am not a fan of Jesus Is King. Despite moments of great beauty and sonic wonderment scattered throughout, it is undercooked, unmemorable, and most importantly a woefully misguided attempt at bringing glory to the Lord that more often than not shifts the focus to Kanye himself. I'm sure you've already heard this album anyway, and likely you don't need me to tell you this as a result, but if you are looking for a great Kanye album this is not the album for you, and if you are looking for a great gospel album this is not the album for you. For someone who claims to be the "greatest artist in human existence", Kanye really isn't doing much to cement that ludicrous claim at the moment.

Rating: D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Response To 'Christian' Views On Secular Music

Is there such thing as music that Christians shouldn’t listen to? Should we be dismissive of music with either explicit language or sexual, violent or substance oriented themes? Should anyone even be telling anyone else what they can and can’t listen to? These are questions that are thrown around a lot in Christian circles, and given what I do here on this blog and how that overlaps with my job working for the church, I thought I would share my thoughts on this topic. I’ll say this at the outset so that we’re on the same page – I think any attempt to dictate what people should and shouldn’t listen to is stupid and disrespectful on a fundamental level. I’ll go into detail about why I think that later on, but for now here are some thoughts I have on some of the “Christian” opinions I come across pretty regularly. The first and most ludicrous thing that seems to follow me around is the idea that because I listen to underground genres, particularly on the heavy metal

ALBUM REVIEW: "Graveyard Shift" by Motionless In White

   I've never really enjoyed what Motionless In White do, because they've been wedged between industrial beats, gothic murkiness and generic breakdown-laden metalcore for so long without really nailing any of those sides of their sound. Listening to their music was really jarring and I've never really cared all that much for any of their records. Graveyard Shift was a real surprise for me, then, being a perfect concoction of the two worlds they have been trying to bring together on their previous efforts. It's like Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails and Korn had an illegitimate child, born with eyeliner and leather (the Jonathan Davis feature on Necessary Evil is a knowing nod to this influence). There is a surprising energy and cohesiveness to these songs, and it is by far the best album from them so far; so much so I had to double check I was indeed listening to Motionless In White on Spotify. Everything the band have offered to this point are here, but refined and tweak

1 YEAR LATER: "22, A Million" by Bon Iver

   Bon Iver's third studio album turns 1 in about a week (where did that year go?), so I thought it would be interesting to talk a bit about how my impressions of the album have changed - or how they haven't - over the last 12 months. When this album was released I was more excited than I think I ever have been to hear a new album. For Emma, Forever Ago is one of my all time favourites, and I love his self-titled second album too, so I had huge expectations for this album, but was also wary that expectations might ruin my experience of the music. This was particularly the case for 22, A Million , because it is unlike anything else Justin Vernon has released. There have been hints at this more processed, electronic direction previously, like the song "Woods" on the Blood Bank EP and occasional flourishes on Bon Iver , but 22, A Million is a drastic departure from the Bon Iver sound we had grown accustomed to at this point in time. Or at least, that's what I thought