Skip to main content

A Response To 'Christian' Views On Secular Music


Is there such thing as music that Christians shouldn’t listen to? Should we be dismissive of music with either explicit language or sexual, violent or substance oriented themes? Should anyone even be telling anyone else what they can and can’t listen to? These are questions that are thrown around a lot in Christian circles, and given what I do here on this blog and how that overlaps with my job working for the church, I thought I would share my thoughts on this topic. I’ll say this at the outset so that we’re on the same page – I think any attempt to dictate what people should and shouldn’t listen to is stupid and disrespectful on a fundamental level. I’ll go into detail about why I think that later on, but for now here are some thoughts I have on some of the “Christian” opinions I come across pretty regularly.

The first and most ludicrous thing that seems to follow me around is the idea that because I listen to underground genres, particularly on the heavy metal side of things, I am somehow either flirting with something dangerous or by extension already dangerous. It’s almost as if the fact that I like heavy music is something that should be hidden or discouraged, or that it is simply something that I need to grow out of. The stereotypical Christian response to metal music is one that comes from conservative politicians attempting to silence or censor artists because of what they perceive to be anti-religious, violent or Satanic messages in the music that could influence the younger generation of emerging white Christian Americans. The fact that it is still a notion that exists today in 2019, albeit in a more passive aggressive, subtle way, is embarrassing, to be quite honest. But this is a minor issue and one that I have strong opinions about because it directly affects me.

The thing that has been generating the most chatter and discussion amongst Christian circles is the question of whether Christians should listen to popular secular music or not. Here’s my thing – on the one hand, if a pop song is cause enough for you to stumble in your faith, then work needs to be done and perhaps that isn’t the fault of the artist. But on the other hand, if listening to something is causing you to sin, then stop listening to it. But God created us as creative beings, and God also gave us minds of our own, so I believe that we are meant to use those things, not only to be creative and make awesome shit, but to be discerning and make up our own minds about what we listen to. Because here’s the thing – I can enjoy an album by Tyler, The Creator and not adhere to some of the things he promotes in his music (however sarcastic or literal he is being from song to song). I can enjoy a black metal record like something from Behemoth or Darkthrone because I like the sound of it and the way it makes me feel without taking violent or occult-themed lyrics literally or becoming indoctrinated by the message that they are communicating.

One of the most commonly used Biblical references in this conversation is that of being "in this world but not of it." It is something that doesn't actually come directly from a verse itself, but from a number of different ones that have a similar intent. Romans 12:2 says "do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good an acceptable and perfect." 1 John 5:19 says "we know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one." And John 15:19 says "if you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you." These are all wonderfully convenient passages that seem to provide credence to the idea that secular music is of the world and therefore should be avoided by Christians. You can find almost anything in the Bible to support anything that you need support for, and this is no different. But as always I want to encourage you to take into consideration the teachings of Christ in their entirety, and not just a few Google-generated verses that, taken out of their context, seem to back up your claim. 

If we are talking about explicit language in music, of course young people should be sheltered from that sort of thing depending on the parents, the child's upbringing, their social context, etc. At some point they will inevitably discover those words, at which point the discussion becomes a lot simpler for me. The way lots of Christians use language is pretty backwards, and that extends to words that society has deemed to label taboo or explicit. Rather than focusing on the intent of our words, something Jesus is very clear about, so often we are told that certain words are completely off limits, and that God doesn't like it when you swear. Such a simple understanding of language and by extension such a simple understanding of God is a real worry. Is God really more troubled by me saying fuck than your judgemental and condemning attitudes towards me as a person because of the words I choose to use? To bring this back to the main issue here, is God really that concerned with you listening to a song on the radio that has a four letter word in it? Don't you think God is more concerned with the way you live your life in relation to Him and the people around you in love and grace? 

When it comes to sexual or mature content, however, is where my views and the popular Christian views on secular music start to overlap a small amount. If something you listen to is causing you to sin, stop listening to it. If you, like any rational person, can listen to Billie Eilish and not have your views on how to deal with mental health changed on a dime, then I would say that you don't have to worry (this is radical stuff, I know). If you find that listening to the new Danny Brown record is starting to have an impact on the way you view sex and your relationships, then maybe stop listening to it. It's as simple as that. But most of all, don't pretend to know exactly what is best for anyone else and try to enforce that based on some sort of superiority complex. Your opinion does not matter, if you are an adult you are aloud to listen to whatever the hell you want. How you process what you listen to is up to you and between you and God. And what's more, only exposing yourself to content that you 100% agree with and makes you feel nothing but warm and fluffy on the inside isn't a recipe for a fulfilling life or a life of progress, development and journey with God. If nothing else, you are shutting yourself off to a whole world of creativity and artistic value that God put us here on Earth to revel in and reflect His own creativity back at Him. So please don't try to tell people off because they listen to secular music. Please don't try to convince people that by listening to secular music you are giving Satan exactly what he wants. Please don't push your own agenda (because don't get it twisted, that's exactly what it is) upon other people by using the fear of falling out of favour with God. Not only is it rude, but it is closed-minded and backward. 

Also, when I write up a review of a record I am writing about what i perceive to be the artistic merit of the music. I do not write about a record from the perspective of trying to figure out just how theologically sound or spiritually fruitful it is, because most of the time that is not what it is setting out to do. Artist create music because they want to create good music. At the end of the day I don't think that secular music is the great evil that many Christians make it out to be. In fact, I would point to just as many problems with current popular Christian music (maybe for another blog). Have a bit of faith in your Christian brothers and sisters to be able to discern what is and isn't spiritually fruitful for themselves, and stop ruining the dance. You're still invited, of course. But don't tell me or anyone else what I can and can't listen to as if you are some great spiritual prophet.

My intention here is not to ruffle any feathers, and my intention certainly is not to target anyone in particular. My intention is to encourage you to think about the choices that you make for yourselves, and not be influenced by only one school of thought. Don't let anyone tell you what you can and can't do, look to Christ. I'd love to hear what you think of my ragingly biased rant about something I care far too much about, so feel free to drop a comment below and keep the conversation going. It is in the conversations that the real shit happens, not in the dumping of opinions. 

Comments

  1. I've always thought about this topic and I very much agree with this. I listen to a lot of black metal and bands that are extremely anti-religion, but only because I admire the musical aspects and not the overall message. Behemoth, a perfect circle, KL, thy art - these are some of my favourite bands even though their music is full of anti-christian lyrics. Knocked loose just brings me so much joy in the crazy raw world of hardcore and I can't get enough of it, but it doesn't mean I agree with the lyrics of "The Gospel" which is about the band's hate for Christianity. I'm still going to see them and lose my mind when they play that song, purely because of how well that song is made and how nuts it makes me feel.
    Listening to Maynard James Keenan's lyrics about his disabled mother and his anger towards God genuinely moved me, I could feel the pain of a man who didn't understand why a God would allow suffering in the world. I appreciate his passion in something he cares about a lot, and it shows in that song. Passion and purpose is what makes music meaningful.
    I think it's also good to appreciate and understand other people's stances on religion in the music industry so that we don't let ourselves shut out music we would otherwise listen to because of our musical tastes.
    Recently I've been thinking a lot about Gideon a lot ever since they've released their new record "Out of Control". It's the first album they've written since they've all abandoned their Christian faiths and to be honest it's probably going to be in my top 3 albums this year just because of how powerful it is and how it makes me feel. I never expected something so big to come from Gideon, and I feel like it is so powerful because of what happened to their faiths. Obviously it's a pity that there is one less Christian band in the metalcore scene, but it's their choice and I respect all band direction and their personal religious beliefs. You should listen to it if you haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard that new Gideon record yet, I'll give it a spin. Thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ALBUM REVIEW: "Graveyard Shift" by Motionless In White

   I've never really enjoyed what Motionless In White do, because they've been wedged between industrial beats, gothic murkiness and generic breakdown-laden metalcore for so long without really nailing any of those sides of their sound. Listening to their music was really jarring and I've never really cared all that much for any of their records. Graveyard Shift was a real surprise for me, then, being a perfect concoction of the two worlds they have been trying to bring together on their previous efforts. It's like Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails and Korn had an illegitimate child, born with eyeliner and leather (the Jonathan Davis feature on Necessary Evil is a knowing nod to this influence). There is a surprising energy and cohesiveness to these songs, and it is by far the best album from them so far; so much so I had to double check I was indeed listening to Motionless In White on Spotify. Everything the band have offered to this point are here, but refined and tweak

1 YEAR LATER: "22, A Million" by Bon Iver

   Bon Iver's third studio album turns 1 in about a week (where did that year go?), so I thought it would be interesting to talk a bit about how my impressions of the album have changed - or how they haven't - over the last 12 months. When this album was released I was more excited than I think I ever have been to hear a new album. For Emma, Forever Ago is one of my all time favourites, and I love his self-titled second album too, so I had huge expectations for this album, but was also wary that expectations might ruin my experience of the music. This was particularly the case for 22, A Million , because it is unlike anything else Justin Vernon has released. There have been hints at this more processed, electronic direction previously, like the song "Woods" on the Blood Bank EP and occasional flourishes on Bon Iver , but 22, A Million is a drastic departure from the Bon Iver sound we had grown accustomed to at this point in time. Or at least, that's what I thought