Skip to main content

ALBUM REVIEW: "Vacation" by Seaway

   I don't know much about this band, so I wasn't really expecting anything in particular from Vacation, but what I got was an enjoyable pop-punk album loaded with a bunch of influences from 90's alt-rock, from Third Eye Blind to Weezer. Basically it's a fun, chorus-laden sing-along of an album injected with some healthy nostalgia factor. The songwriting is the album's greatest strength here; the majority of the tracks are sharp and catchy with interesting guitar parts and great choruses, if sometimes formulaic. The album sounds good, particularly in the guitar department, but the drums lack a bit of punch and seem to sit a little too far back in the mix for my liking. The only other problem I have is how "pop" the vocals sound - this is normally where pop-punk bands tip a little too far towards the pop end of the spectrum for my liking, and Vacation suffers a similar ailment. Having said that, there's a lot of fun to be had on this album. Get learning those choruses for a summer drive.

   Favourite Tracks: Apartment, Misery In You and 40 Over

   Least Favourite Track: Lula On The Beach

   Rating: B

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NOSTALGIA PICK #3: "The Glow Pt. 2" and "Mount Eerie" by The Microphones

   There aren't many artists that have been making consistently exciting music for as long as Phil Elverum has been under his various musical pseudonyms, the most notable being The Microphones and Mount Eerie, the latter being the second incarnation after The Microphones' Mount Eerie.  From experimental beginnings to rugged indie-folk to what was essentially Phil's black metal album in Black Wooden Ceiling  and back again, nothing he has done has felt like a re-tread of what had come before, but somehow he has managed to maintain an instantly recognisable sonic fingerprint across all his projects.    For me the peak moments in his expansive discography come in the form of 2001's The Glow Pt. 2 and 2003's Mount Eerie .      A saw an exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney showing the work of Japanese artist Tatsuo Miyajima, which was a series of installations ruminating on life and death and the cycle it forms. All of the in...

1 YEAR LATER: "22, A Million" by Bon Iver

   Bon Iver's third studio album turns 1 in about a week (where did that year go?), so I thought it would be interesting to talk a bit about how my impressions of the album have changed - or how they haven't - over the last 12 months. When this album was released I was more excited than I think I ever have been to hear a new album. For Emma, Forever Ago is one of my all time favourites, and I love his self-titled second album too, so I had huge expectations for this album, but was also wary that expectations might ruin my experience of the music. This was particularly the case for 22, A Million , because it is unlike anything else Justin Vernon has released. There have been hints at this more processed, electronic direction previously, like the song "Woods" on the Blood Bank EP and occasional flourishes on Bon Iver , but 22, A Million is a drastic departure from the Bon Iver sound we had grown accustomed to at this point in time. Or at least, that's what I thought...