Skip to main content

ALBUM REVIEW: "The Rhapsody Tapes" by Ocean Grove

   It’s been a while since I’ve been as intrigued about a new album as I was for The Rhapsody Tapes, Melbourne-based hardcore outfit Ocean Grove’s debut full length. The band’s sound has warped and shifted hugely over their brief career; from their sharp, snappy – and a little generic – metalcore sound heard on their early material, something new and fresh has been gradually emerging. This mix of nineties nostalgia, weird imagery, a goofy stage presence and wildly unpredictable musical directions was first visible towards the end of their Black Label EP, and more so with the stand-alone single “Lights On Kind of Lover”.
   The thing that had me so closely waiting for this release was that despite this obvious gradual shift towards something new, I was completely in the dark about exactly what this something new would look like when realised fully in a debut full length. The two singles released in the lead up confirmed my thoughts that The Rhapsody Tapes would be a wildly schizophrenic and frantic collection of songs; “These Boys Light Fires” was a kind of Nirvana throwback mixed with the immediacy of modern punk, while “Intimate Alien” was so odd it defied a definitive genre (but is so damn catchy!).
   With The Rhapsody Tapes having now arrived, it’s biggest weakness is something that we all carry into our listening experience; our own expectations. Regardless of what kind of expectations you might bring to The Rhapsody Tapes, they are more than likely to be completely shattered. This isn’t exactly a weakness to be found in the music itself, but rather something that is unavoidable in terms of how it will be received. The band’s “mission statement” of sorts states that “if you’re consuming our art with any pre-conceived notions or expectations of how it should be presented then you will find yourself extremely disappointed; we would rather fade into obscurity and die out than live prosperously in a pigeonhole of mediocrity.” (The full statement can be found here.) Being able to experience The Rhapsody Tapes in this context lets you fully immerse yourself in what the band has labelled “Odd World”. Not a genre, not an idea, not a statement, but a place of imagination and expression from and for those born with their head around the wrong way.
   In most cases an album like this might be considered unfocused or lacking cohesion; for some this may be the case, but for me I was too busy admiring the many positive things this album has going for it for it to be too much of an issue. The two major positives on this album are bassist Dale Tanner’s voice and drummer/producer extraordinaire Sam Bassal. Tanner provides a warmth and grit to the band’s sound that is sorely missing from a lot of the other bands in the scene, and he comfortably holds his own in album highlights “The Wrong Way” and “Mr. Centipede” when Luke Holmes’ screams our almost completely omitted. A lot of the time in heavy music the “scream/sing/scream/sing” formula is a trap into convention, and rarely does it lend itself to an identifiable, unique sound. In Ocean Grove’s case Tanner’s voice is vital to what makes their sound their own, and is all the better for it. 19-year-old Bassal’s drumming is dynamic and exciting, but his biggest strength and perhaps biggest contribution is his skill as a producer. The entire album was recorded and produced in his bedroom studio, and while this might have spelt disaster, he has done a fine job. There are moments that do become a bit of a wall of sound, the instruments folding in on each other in a bit of a mess, but for the most part he has done a pretty fantastic job.
   While on the topic of production, I have to mention another main contributor to the band’s sound, being studio member Matthew Kopp, known by his own fans as producer Running Touch. The best thing he has going for them for me is a fresh perspective from outside of the heavy music scene. It is possible to be caged in when you’ve been touring and playing and recording the same style of music non-stop, and so having an outside influence has had a visible impact on the band’s sound on this album. Songs like album opener “What I Love About A Natural Woman”, “Thunderdome” and “Slow Soap Soak” have his most obvious finger prints, but his influence is felt throughout in an album that always feels like it’s finding new ground.
   For me I think that is this album’s biggest strength; while there are definite influences to be heard, you never feel like you have heard anything exactly like what you are hearing. This is also somewhat of a drawback for me, because on repeated listenings the lack of cohesion and tendency to jump genres becomes more noticeable after the initial shot of adrenaline to the heart has worn off. The Rhapsody Tapes is a phenomenal collection of catchy, fun and heavy songs, but when they are put together in this package it never quite feels like a complete project so much as a collection of different ideas. Some people will disagree with me on this point, and I can certainly see the thematic “Odd World” through line and aesthetic that holds the songs together, but for me this has become more of an issue the more I’ve listened to The Rhapsody Tapes.
   Having said this, The Rhapsody Tapes is a helluva lot of fun, and I enjoyed it a lot. Like I said before, any preconceived ideas about what The Rhapsody Tapes will sound like will undoubtedly be shattered, and this is both the album’s greatest strength and weakness. Just try to get “Intimate Alien” out of your head.

Favourite Tracks: The Wrong Way, Intimate Alien and Mr Centipede

Least Favourite Tracks: From Dalight


Rating: B+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Response To 'Christian' Views On Secular Music

Is there such thing as music that Christians shouldn’t listen to? Should we be dismissive of music with either explicit language or sexual, violent or substance oriented themes? Should anyone even be telling anyone else what they can and can’t listen to? These are questions that are thrown around a lot in Christian circles, and given what I do here on this blog and how that overlaps with my job working for the church, I thought I would share my thoughts on this topic. I’ll say this at the outset so that we’re on the same page – I think any attempt to dictate what people should and shouldn’t listen to is stupid and disrespectful on a fundamental level. I’ll go into detail about why I think that later on, but for now here are some thoughts I have on some of the “Christian” opinions I come across pretty regularly. The first and most ludicrous thing that seems to follow me around is the idea that because I listen to underground genres, particularly on the heavy metal

1 YEAR LATER: "22, A Million" by Bon Iver

   Bon Iver's third studio album turns 1 in about a week (where did that year go?), so I thought it would be interesting to talk a bit about how my impressions of the album have changed - or how they haven't - over the last 12 months. When this album was released I was more excited than I think I ever have been to hear a new album. For Emma, Forever Ago is one of my all time favourites, and I love his self-titled second album too, so I had huge expectations for this album, but was also wary that expectations might ruin my experience of the music. This was particularly the case for 22, A Million , because it is unlike anything else Justin Vernon has released. There have been hints at this more processed, electronic direction previously, like the song "Woods" on the Blood Bank EP and occasional flourishes on Bon Iver , but 22, A Million is a drastic departure from the Bon Iver sound we had grown accustomed to at this point in time. Or at least, that's what I thought

Should Brand New be in my top 20? (CONTENT WARNING: sexual abuse)

    For those who read both top 20 albums lists that I did - one here on thatmusicnerd and one over at Kill Your Stereo - you will have noticed, I'm sure, that one had The Ongoing Concept's album Places at number 1, and the other had Brand New's Science Fiction at the top. Full disclosure, I initially had Brand New at the top of just the one list, but the readership of Kill Your Stereo reacted very strongly against the allegations of sexual misconduct against Brand New frontman Jesse Lacey and so I removed it entirely. In fact, none of the  KYS contributors' top 20 lists featured Science Fiction at all. Of course I was happy to follow the general consensus in regards to whether or not an artist accused of such things should be promoted by a music publication, but I still stand by my opinion that Science Fiction was the best album of 2017 and as such it was number 1 on my thatmusicnerd top 20 list.    2017 has been a pretty crazy year in terms of the fairly b