Skip to main content

SHORT STORY: "The Cave" (content warning: themes of sexual abuse)


© Jonty Cornford 2018

The Cave

by Jonty Cornford


Yesterday I decided to go with them. Normally I come up with some excuse, like that I have homework to do, and I can tell that they know I’m bullshitting them. But I couldn’t think of anything to say, standing idly there in the 7-Eleven car park; either that or I was just exhausted from constantly saying no. James and Cam aren’t exactly the kind of guys you can get used to saying no to. Cam wasn’t always like that, though (but he’s always been chubby). And besides, they’re my mates. I suppose there was a little bit of jealousy involved on my part once they had started talking to the year elevens, but I was always gonna do it anyway. Who was I kidding? It was almost unbearably hot, and I could feel the asphalt burning through the soles of my school shoes.


   So, you comin today or what?
   Yeah man, let’s do it, I say, mustering as much masculine confidence as I can. I wipe my hand, wet from the condensation on my frozen drink, across the front of my pants.
   James snorts as he lights a cigarette, then roughs his dirty red hair. You’re a fucken laugh, mate. Don’t you have homework to do or something? He blows smoke in my face. I hate it when he does that. It makes me feel tiny and stupid. I’m sure he doesn’t intend it, but it still makes me feel like shit. I knew this would happen, anyway, that James would talk shit even when I agree. Too late to back out now though.
   Let’s do it.
   Oright. Come on then.
  We climb onto our pushbikes and ride around the back of the servo, James leading with confidence, Cam and I in tow. He has mastered the ability of smoking while riding, but Cam still has to put out his smoke, even if he’s only just lit it. Last summer he stacked it real bad down at the stormwater drain when he dropped a durrie into his lap and freaked – broke his wrist and shredded his palms to ribbons. Mum said he deserved it too, but Mum doesn’t like my friends anyway. She says we have no business being down there, that we’ll be caught in the stormwater and drown, or get sick from the water.
  We swing out onto the main road. There is a missing person’s poster plastered on the side of the corner store, asking for information about a girl that I recognise from school. She’s been missing three days now, and she’s fourteen, like us.
  School finished almost an hour ago, and so there are people out and about (lots, by this town’s standards). There are still plenty of kids in uniform in the chicken shop buying greasy paper bags filled with hot chips or potato scallops. There’s a cop car lazily pulling out of the police station, the lack of blaring siren suggesting something benign like a coffee run. The car park outside the indoor sports centre is almost full, and the coffee shop across the road is almost at capacity. Despite all of this activity it still feels relatively empty, quiet, like someone’s fading memory of a town. Not in a bad way, mind you. This is how it is in this town, even at peak hour; nothing happens too quickly. We’re able to ride down the middle of the road relatively unchallenged, each lane to either side stretching well beyond the necessary width for an occasional car to pass through. This is part of what causes the town to feel so empty all the time – the unnecessary space. The sun is overbearing and uncomfortable, and I’m relieved when James turns off onto the fire trail that leads into the bush.
  I quickly realise that James might be taking us down to the stormwater drain. I haven’t been down there in ages, but I used to be there all the time with Cam when we were younger, playing in the concrete pipe that was big enough to fit both of us and our pushbikes in its gaping mouth with ease. James has never been down here – at least not with me. He and his older brother Sean only moved here with their dad about a year ago.
  It’s immediately cooler once we’re under the cover of the eucalypts, and I briefly close my eyes and breathe the soily air as deep as I can. It hasn’t rained in almost a month, so I’m not worried about following them off the main road and down the fire trail into the bush. I can’t believe this is where they’ve been going on Tuesday afternoons without telling me. I almost feel smug, knowing that James’ ‘secret’ was more mine than it ever was his. It doesn’t seem right that Cam hasn’t told me before, though. Even with the possibility of guys two or three years older than me being there the idea of the runoff area is much more pleasant than the other hypothetical worst-case-scenarios I’d concocted.
  We ride on, wordless, through what was my second home growing up. Cam’s, too. The two of us had done so much together as kids in this pocket of bushland, and even though it’s small enough to ride across and reach the next town before lunch, it had felt like our own world that nobody else knew about.
   Now it’s just the bush, and most of that magic is gone. But more than that, none of the ownership I felt growing up is there anymore. It’s not mine anymore. It’s just the bush, with a dead, decaying possum in the middle of the dirt track for us to swerve around.
   James and Cam ride past the sandstone boulder to the left of the track that marks the hidden trail down to the drain without even a passing glance.
  Where are you going? I stop and put my weight on my left foot. They don’t even stop to reply, James yelling something as they continue riding on down the track and around the bend to the right. He flicks a cigarette butt behind him as they disappear.
  My heart sinks. They’d better not be going where I think they are.
  I remember when Jack Dennings died in the caves. He was in our year at school, and my kindergarten class. We must have been about eight or nine at the time and my mum sat me down in the living room and told me how a boy in my grade at school had had an accident. How he stayed in there too long and tried to find his way out in the dark when his torch wasn’t working. Started to panic, walking straight into a low-hanging outlet of rock and cracked his temple, then again on the way down. He hadn’t told anyone where he was going so by the time anyone found him he had bled out in the dark. That has always been enough to keep me away, even though I almost never come down here these days anyway.
  I pump hard on the pedals to catch up with them. They’ve slowed down around the bend because the track becomes rocky and uneven, and soon all three of us have hopped off and are walking our bikes beside us. James is still striding on with confidence, Cam still following, content to drop in behind James. The trees are thinning, and I can hear the sounds of chatting and coughing echoing off the rock walls of the caves – we must be close.
  We emerge from the treeline into a small clearing; at the other side of which I can only assume is the entrance to the caves. It’s a tall, smooth wall of greywhite rock, blocking out the lowering sun, the face of which is dimpled with an almost perfectly circular entry point. It looks about the same size as the storm water drain, and voices are floating out, loud and happy. Unchallenged. We let our bikes crash onto the sandstone ground.
  Hey, shouldn’t someone know that we’re here? I ask, thinking about Jack Dennings.
  They do. They’re in there, James points at the cave. He lights another cigarette.
  Yeah, but what if something happens?
  Carn mate, don’t be a pussy.
  I hate it when he calls me that. Something about that word just gives me the shits. I look at Cam for support but he is looking intently at the entrance to the cave with an odd look on his face.
  Is Sean in there? Cam asks, his eyes not leaving the entrance.
  Yeah mate.
  This seems to steel Cam’s resolve, apprehension dissolving into a cool apathy. A look that I’ve been seeing more and more since James and his brother Sean arrived, a look I never used to see before we met James. It makes me think about the first week of school last year when he arrived, in English class. Cam and I had always sat in the back corner of the classroom together, joking around just enough to have fun without falling out of favour with Ms Wagner. On the first day James was there, not only did our seating arrangement change but the dynamic permanently changed too – Cam didn’t care about English because James didn’t care about English.
  Before I know it James has disappeared into the cave, a tattered school shoe all I see before he is gone. Cam follows. For a few moments I’m alone in the clearing, the sweaty heat of the day replaced with a deepening chill, fingery shadows slowly flexing. I clamber up the small step of sandstone and enter.
  The voices are amplified as soon as I’m surrounded by the cone of rock almost tall enough for me to stand in. The words are blurred together by the echo, but I can hear plenty of swearing. I realise that James and Cam obviously know where they’re going, but haven’t thought to show me the way leaving me in darkness. I suppress the tugging urge to turn around and wait for them back in the clearing, but I’ve come this far and I’m compelled by a need to win back Cam. Straight away I dismiss the thought as stupid, but it lingers for longer than I’d like and I realise that maybe this is what this is all about – some idea I had of what growing up was going to be like being tarnished by one scruffy, freckly redhead and his older brother stealing a part of it from me.
   The voices start to sharpen as I move forwards with my hands in front of me in a sort of walking crawl, as well as a distant sort of animal call, like a wallaby crying out, echoing eerily through the passage. They become quiet, and I recognise James’ voice, then another, deeper voice that has the same contour and intonation. That must be Sean. He has the kind of voice that demands attention, much like James.
   Took you long enough.
   Yeah, well, we had to wait around for Cam’s mate.
   He’s not your mate?
   Of course he’s my mate.
   Where is he then?
   Shit. Forgot he doesn’t know the way.
   Echoed footsteps as someone approaches through the dark. A hand grabs my shoulder, and I get a face full of cigarette smoke.
   Carn mate, we’re waiting for you.
   James guides me without a whole lot of care through the darkness and around what is evidently a corner, flickering candlelight washing across my surroundings. There are four guys including Cam sitting on camping chairs in a circle, a fifth chair empty, obviously belonging to James. I recognise Sean when he stands because he is a bigger, hairier and smellier version of James. The freckles on his pale face are hidden behind a surprising amount of facial hair, and a tight white tank top hugs his muscular figure, lean arms hanging lazily by his side.
   This him? Who was always put’n us off? he asks James, not even glancing at me.
   Fucken aye. Thought about leaving, too, didn’t ya?
   Suddenly it all makes sense, where James gets his need to assert himself as the leader.
   I decide to take the initiative and shake off James’ hand and push past Sean towards what is clearly James’ chair. I sit down next to Cam and a tall, lanky dude with acne and a buzz cut who introduces himself as Jack with a nod. Across from me a guy who looks almost exactly how I imagine Cam to look in ten years introduces himself as Marty with a sly grin. Sean drops back into his seat with a grunt, and I can tell that James is pissed at me because I have taken his seat. The older guys seem to find it funny that he resigns himself to sitting on the sandstone ground between Sean and Marty.
   Let’s get started, hey? Sean suggests. I realise he hasn’t asked for my name. He reaches into his backpack and pulls out a glass pipe, and immediately my insides turn to ash. I know that I’m in way over my head. I don’t know exactly what they’re doing while they hold a zippo under the end of it and hold it to their mouths, but I know it isn’t good, I know that I shouldn’t be here. The animal noise floats in, closer this time.
   Shut the fuck up! yells Marty, smoke pluming from his cracked and yellowed lips. The noises – moans – continue, louder.
   Sean stands wordlessly but with clear intent, and the others stand with him. As Cam puts the glass pipe down they move towards the back of the lit cave, where I realise there is another passage. I follow them through, dark enveloping us again briefly, before it opens up into another cave, smaller and less well lit.
   My breath catches in my chest, and I panic. Shaved, raw, naked and shivering in the shadows is a girl, tied down and spreadeagled. Before any of the others have noticed I’ve turned and left back the way I came, back through the first cave and back through the entrance passage with a torch on the floor next to one of the camp chairs, pulled my pushbike up off the ground and I’m pumping my legs as fast as I can. I have to get home as quickly as possible, but to do what? To call the cops? To tell my parents? To tell Cam’s parents? Already I know that I can’t tell anyone what I’ve seen – not just out of fear that I’ll be guilty by association, but because they’re my friends. Well, they were my friends.
   I can hear movement up ahead as I race along the bush track, and I take the sharp right down towards the storm water drain. Halfway down the hill I’ve fallen off my pushbike and I’m running, and I’ve fallen into the runoff area as the ground levels out again. Cold and wet I clamber into the dark stormwater drain, hugging my knees against my chest as I try and become still. There’s a distant roaring that I can’t attribute to either the drain or the inside of my head.


   Neither Cam nor James were at school today, and both my parents cried when they saw the news this evening. The police had found the missing girl in the caves late yesterday afternoon, having been tipped off by a local who was suspicious of the same group of high school boys going off into the bush most afternoons. They were caught in the possession of ice, and the girl was almost dead when they found the cave. She hadn’t had food or hardly any water in three days, and that was all they decided to disclose out of respect for her family. James killed himself overnight in the police station, and all of their photos, including Cam’s, were on the telly.
   My name wasn’t mentioned.

© Jonty Cornford 2018


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Response To 'Christian' Views On Secular Music

Is there such thing as music that Christians shouldn’t listen to? Should we be dismissive of music with either explicit language or sexual, violent or substance oriented themes? Should anyone even be telling anyone else what they can and can’t listen to? These are questions that are thrown around a lot in Christian circles, and given what I do here on this blog and how that overlaps with my job working for the church, I thought I would share my thoughts on this topic. I’ll say this at the outset so that we’re on the same page – I think any attempt to dictate what people should and shouldn’t listen to is stupid and disrespectful on a fundamental level. I’ll go into detail about why I think that later on, but for now here are some thoughts I have on some of the “Christian” opinions I come across pretty regularly. The first and most ludicrous thing that seems to follow me around is the idea that because I listen to underground genres, particularly on the heavy metal

ALBUM REVIEW: "Graveyard Shift" by Motionless In White

   I've never really enjoyed what Motionless In White do, because they've been wedged between industrial beats, gothic murkiness and generic breakdown-laden metalcore for so long without really nailing any of those sides of their sound. Listening to their music was really jarring and I've never really cared all that much for any of their records. Graveyard Shift was a real surprise for me, then, being a perfect concoction of the two worlds they have been trying to bring together on their previous efforts. It's like Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails and Korn had an illegitimate child, born with eyeliner and leather (the Jonathan Davis feature on Necessary Evil is a knowing nod to this influence). There is a surprising energy and cohesiveness to these songs, and it is by far the best album from them so far; so much so I had to double check I was indeed listening to Motionless In White on Spotify. Everything the band have offered to this point are here, but refined and tweak

1 YEAR LATER: "22, A Million" by Bon Iver

   Bon Iver's third studio album turns 1 in about a week (where did that year go?), so I thought it would be interesting to talk a bit about how my impressions of the album have changed - or how they haven't - over the last 12 months. When this album was released I was more excited than I think I ever have been to hear a new album. For Emma, Forever Ago is one of my all time favourites, and I love his self-titled second album too, so I had huge expectations for this album, but was also wary that expectations might ruin my experience of the music. This was particularly the case for 22, A Million , because it is unlike anything else Justin Vernon has released. There have been hints at this more processed, electronic direction previously, like the song "Woods" on the Blood Bank EP and occasional flourishes on Bon Iver , but 22, A Million is a drastic departure from the Bon Iver sound we had grown accustomed to at this point in time. Or at least, that's what I thought