Skip to main content

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENTS OF 2017

   2017 has been a year that his delivered in spades, and with that comes a number of albums that were incredibly disappointing - and for a number of reasons. Whatever those reasons were, each of these albums fell spectacularly short of my expectations, and I'm here to drop them into the limelight for you.


Being As An Ocean - Waiting For Morning To Come

   I've waited and waited for this album to click with me, for me to finally get what is going on with this fourth album from Being As An Ocean, and unfortunately I'm still just as baffled and disappointed now as I was when it finally dropped after a couple of months in the ether. If you do understand what I was meant to get out of this record please comment below because I'd love to figure it out. The band that I fell in love with on Dear G-d... is almost entirely eradicated on Waiting For Morning To Come, replaced with pretentious piano interludes and songs played in reverse. There are a handful of great songs on here, but by and large I was completely baffled by what we got with Waiting For Morning To Come. Please tell me why I'm wrong. (The album cover is pretty dope, though.)

Marilyn Manson - Heaven Upside Down

   My hopes of Manson continuing in the vein of The Pale Emperor were cruelly dashed with Heaven Upside Down, which instead opted to revisit the sounds that made him such a controversial figure in the nineties. The problem is that Manson is no longer that taboo figure he was in his heyday, and so these tracks don't sound dangerous or controversial at all, but rather annoying and edgy for the sake of being edgy. Every so often there is a glimpse of what made him such an essential nineties act, but for the most part Heaven Upside Down is an utter snooze-fest from an artist who should be producing the exact opposite.

Prophets of Rage - Prophets of Rage

   Billed as a return of sorts from Rage Against The Machine - retaining the spirit and ethos but changing the delivery - the first album from this supergroup pretty much failed at every major critical point. There is nothing even close to as sharp or penetrating as Rage's lesser work
even, and Tom Morello's wizardry and mastery of the guitar is sorely underused. Every time something catchy or exciting from Morello briefly sticks its head above the surface it is either undercooked or far too brief. All this record did for me was make me go and listen to Rage's debut again for the four-hundredth time.

In Hearts Wake - Ark

   Time hasn't been good to In Hearts Wake, and with output quality declining steadily with every release since the still-great Divination from 2012 it's time for the band to decide whether to take a step forwards or keep making the same album. I was desperately hoping that Ark would be the next step forwards for the band that I was waiting for after Skydancer showed beyond a doubt that you can't just make the same album three times and hope nobody notices. We do. And it wasn't.

Linkin Park - One More Light

   Not really sure what I was expecting from the new Linkin Park album considering I'm no longer a rabid 14-year-old fan, but it certainly wasn't One More Light. Now, a lot of people are asking me if my opinion on this album has changed since the recent death of Chester Bennington, and I'm not even going to go near that can of worms in this post - I'll address that in another post - but what I will say is that One More Light is still a lukewarm collection of weirdly outdated (like, early 2000s) electronic pop tropes and truly awful lyricism. I can still objectively say that Meteora and Hybrid Theory were watershed moments in rock music at the turn of the century, but One More Light comparatively has literally nothing to offer the wider world of music and is literally not worth any of your time. At the very least they continued their trend of not giving two shits about their fans' expectations.


Eminem - Revival

   Yet another post-turn-of-the-century Eminem album that largely fails. Not since The Eminem Show in 2002 has Mathers replicated the urgency or vitality he showed on albums that revelled in Slim's unhinged insanity, and unfortunately Revival falls into that same trend. At the very least 2013's The Marshal Mathers LP2 was an attempt to find that initial spark he once had, but Revival actually sees Mathers double back on a whole lot of his previous assertions. Where once he was filled with confidence and swagger, here he is driven by crippling self-doubt (which I guess is more appropriate for a rich middle-aged father), and the guy who once mocked Lady Gaga with the line "she can quit her job at the post office, she's still a male-lady" is now dismantling the 45th president's ban on transgender service men. This sometimes becomes an issue more so when he is not only contradicting the persona he has built up on previous albums but previous statements on the album; case in point, he is scathing of the president's racism, but yet still serves up lines referencing his pussy-grabbing a-la "why do you think they call it a snatch". The guy who used to boast how he "Just Don't Give A Fuck" now apparently has a lot of fucks to give, and it culminates in an overlong, contradictory and surprisingly boring return to turn of the century mediocrity.


Which albums did you hope were going to be heaps better than they turned out to be? Let me know in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Response To 'Christian' Views On Secular Music

Is there such thing as music that Christians shouldn’t listen to? Should we be dismissive of music with either explicit language or sexual, violent or substance oriented themes? Should anyone even be telling anyone else what they can and can’t listen to? These are questions that are thrown around a lot in Christian circles, and given what I do here on this blog and how that overlaps with my job working for the church, I thought I would share my thoughts on this topic. I’ll say this at the outset so that we’re on the same page – I think any attempt to dictate what people should and shouldn’t listen to is stupid and disrespectful on a fundamental level. I’ll go into detail about why I think that later on, but for now here are some thoughts I have on some of the “Christian” opinions I come across pretty regularly. The first and most ludicrous thing that seems to follow me around is the idea that because I listen to underground genres, particularly on the heavy metal

ALBUM REVIEW: "Graveyard Shift" by Motionless In White

   I've never really enjoyed what Motionless In White do, because they've been wedged between industrial beats, gothic murkiness and generic breakdown-laden metalcore for so long without really nailing any of those sides of their sound. Listening to their music was really jarring and I've never really cared all that much for any of their records. Graveyard Shift was a real surprise for me, then, being a perfect concoction of the two worlds they have been trying to bring together on their previous efforts. It's like Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails and Korn had an illegitimate child, born with eyeliner and leather (the Jonathan Davis feature on Necessary Evil is a knowing nod to this influence). There is a surprising energy and cohesiveness to these songs, and it is by far the best album from them so far; so much so I had to double check I was indeed listening to Motionless In White on Spotify. Everything the band have offered to this point are here, but refined and tweak

1 YEAR LATER: "22, A Million" by Bon Iver

   Bon Iver's third studio album turns 1 in about a week (where did that year go?), so I thought it would be interesting to talk a bit about how my impressions of the album have changed - or how they haven't - over the last 12 months. When this album was released I was more excited than I think I ever have been to hear a new album. For Emma, Forever Ago is one of my all time favourites, and I love his self-titled second album too, so I had huge expectations for this album, but was also wary that expectations might ruin my experience of the music. This was particularly the case for 22, A Million , because it is unlike anything else Justin Vernon has released. There have been hints at this more processed, electronic direction previously, like the song "Woods" on the Blood Bank EP and occasional flourishes on Bon Iver , but 22, A Million is a drastic departure from the Bon Iver sound we had grown accustomed to at this point in time. Or at least, that's what I thought