Skip to main content

Should Brand New be in my top 20? (CONTENT WARNING: sexual abuse)

   
For those who read both top 20 albums lists that I did - one here on thatmusicnerd and one over at Kill Your Stereo - you will have noticed, I'm sure, that one had The Ongoing Concept's album Places at number 1, and the other had Brand New's Science Fiction at the top. Full disclosure, I initially had Brand New at the top of just the one list, but the readership of Kill Your Stereo reacted very strongly against the allegations of sexual misconduct against Brand New frontman Jesse Lacey and so I removed it entirely. In fact, none of the KYS contributors' top 20 lists featured Science Fiction at all. Of course I was happy to follow the general consensus in regards to whether or not an artist accused of such things should be promoted by a music publication, but I still stand by my opinion that Science Fiction was the best album of 2017 and as such it was number 1 on my thatmusicnerd top 20 list.

   2017 has been a pretty crazy year in terms of the fairly brutal uprooting and public condemnation of popular figures accused of sexual misconduct. In the music scene With Confidence were notably left reeling after guitarist Luke "Rockets" Thomas was outed after it was made apparent he had been engaging in inappropriate messages of a sexual nature with a 14-year-old female fan. He was 22 at the time. That situation was made worse when another young lady spoke up against WithCon frontman Jayden Seeley, and the future of the band is still uncertain. There was the Kevin Spacey scenario, allegations made against comedian Louis CK (up until recently one of my all time favourite comedians), and of course the spectacular fall from grace of Harvey Weinstein, among others. While these were all shocking and absolutely horrendous, the allegations regarding Jesse Lacey genuinely upset me considering how close I have held the music of Brand New for such a long time.

   For those who need to be caught up, it begun with Brian Diaz - Fall Out Boy, Guns n Roses and former Brand New guitar tech - addressing the current sexual misconduct witch-hunts and raising largely unknown rumours about Lacey and encouraging any women with such experiences to speak up. Nicole Elizabeth Garey, who is now 30, responded with a brief comment, before posting the following to Substream:

   "He solicited nudes from me starting when I was 15 and he was 24. Manipulated the hell out of me, demanded specific poses/settings/clothing, demeaned me, and made it clear that my sexuality was the only thing I had to offer. He knew what he was doing was shitty so he wouldn’t touch me until I was 19. I should’ve known better by then, but he had screwed me up so much psychologically that all I wanted was his approval. It fucked me up to the point that I STILL have nightmares and wakeup in a sweat. I still breakdown and have panic attacks when people play Brand New in a bar.

   Oh and yes he made me watch him masturbate on Skype. Apparently, that’s a common thing with sexual predators. I took screen shots at some point, they’re probably on a computer in my basement if I ever really wanted to rehash my past that much (I don’t think I do).

   Unfortunately I didn’t realize that until I was around 25 and had spent some time in rehab. It’s still hard for me to write this or re-read it and not say “I thought I was smarter than that.” I know deep down that it’s more complicated, but it’s just gut-wrenching to even think about. How did I allow that to keep happening? Why didn’t I speak up sooner? I was a kid, but like all teenagers, I thought I was an adult. I was very wrong.

   I never wanted to come forward because it didn’t seem bad enough and it wasn’t physically violent, but sexual abuse comes in different levels and forms and all of it is unacceptable. It has taken years for me to realize the extent to which his actions have harmed me, and continues to harm me, especially now that I have a daughter of my own. I spent years in denial, I tried to drink it away, I tried to run to different cities, but it always followed me and it always will. I wish him no harm, but I hope that some day he can see the effects of his behavior and make a change for the sake of our children."

   Lacey has since come out with a statement following Garey's serious accusations, which you can read here, which does a great job of tip-toeing around any potential apology.

   I guess an important thing to realise is that an AOTY list is essentially a promotional game; the writer in question is saying "I think these artists have done something great with these releases, you need to go and check them out". In the case of Brand New, I stick by the fact that the band released an amazing piece of work that was truthfully my favourite of the year. I don't need to go into any more clarification of that, I've written a review for the album and my opinion on Science Fiction purely as a musical piece of work are already known. What also is important to realise, though, is the moral dilemma in promoting work from someone who has been accused of such serious sexual misconduct.

   Let's step back from this particular case for a second and think about another similar instance from this year. In my mind, both American Beauty and Se7en are near-perfect movies, in which Kevin Spacey delivers two very different but equally nuanced and captivating performances. Regardless of your opinion on either movie, do the events and revelations of this year tarnish either film, or any of his previous work for that matter? Some seem to think so, given Netflix have cancelled House of Cards and Ridley Scott replaced him with Christopher Plummer from his upcoming film All The Money In The World. I personally still cherish the two films I mentioned earlier, and while I am morally opposed to the actions of Spacey that have been raised and thrust into the public eye that doesn't detract from the artistic merit of the films he was a part of.

   I am of the opinion that the same should be said about Brand New. The band's music, in particular their seminal The Devil & God Are Raging Inside Me, has meant a lot to me for a long time. As hard as it may be to come to terms with, Lacey wasn't the ideal hero fans held him up to be up until these allegations came to light - no one ever is. He has been the person he is for his entire life, including the duration of his time as an artist, during which time his work was revered and loved by many. A sudden realisation that someone isn't as perfect as you thought they were shouldn't mean that their work is automatically rendered unlistenable, or taboo even - should it? Of course I am morally opposed to what he has been accused of, but does that by extension make me morally opposed to the art he created?

   I 100% understand the thinking behind removing Science Fiction end of the year publications. I get that a more established publication doesn't want to be seen promoting an artist with such baggage and that the readership has so openly condemned. And I totally get the anger, sadness and disbelief at such a revelation - believe me, I do. But regardless, Science Fiction was my album of the year - I was pretty sure it would be right when I first heard it, before the accusations were made.

   I would like to reiterate that I openly condemn Lacey's actions. That should go without saying. But I also have strong opinions about music, and it is my opinion that the music of Science Fiction - not the actions of the artist behind it - should be praised. Ultimately no piece of art is made in a vacuum (something I will address in a future post about the latest Linkin Park record), however, and the two are intrinsically linked, so it is up to each individual to make up their mind about how they deal with that. It certainly does shed different light on the band's music, however, and none of their music can every be heard in the same manner ever again.


   It is a tricky question, and one that I don't think can ever have any one definitive answer. I will say, however, that Science Fiction and the rest of the band's music does have a serious blemish on it now, and one that I don't think will be kind to any future listening experience that I may (or likely may not) have. I haven't had such outward aversions to the band's music as some have, but I suspect that as everything sinks in a little more that may be more and more the case.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Response To 'Christian' Views On Secular Music

Is there such thing as music that Christians shouldn’t listen to? Should we be dismissive of music with either explicit language or sexual, violent or substance oriented themes? Should anyone even be telling anyone else what they can and can’t listen to? These are questions that are thrown around a lot in Christian circles, and given what I do here on this blog and how that overlaps with my job working for the church, I thought I would share my thoughts on this topic. I’ll say this at the outset so that we’re on the same page – I think any attempt to dictate what people should and shouldn’t listen to is stupid and disrespectful on a fundamental level. I’ll go into detail about why I think that later on, but for now here are some thoughts I have on some of the “Christian” opinions I come across pretty regularly. The first and most ludicrous thing that seems to follow me around is the idea that because I listen to underground genres, particularly on the heavy metal

1 YEAR LATER: "22, A Million" by Bon Iver

   Bon Iver's third studio album turns 1 in about a week (where did that year go?), so I thought it would be interesting to talk a bit about how my impressions of the album have changed - or how they haven't - over the last 12 months. When this album was released I was more excited than I think I ever have been to hear a new album. For Emma, Forever Ago is one of my all time favourites, and I love his self-titled second album too, so I had huge expectations for this album, but was also wary that expectations might ruin my experience of the music. This was particularly the case for 22, A Million , because it is unlike anything else Justin Vernon has released. There have been hints at this more processed, electronic direction previously, like the song "Woods" on the Blood Bank EP and occasional flourishes on Bon Iver , but 22, A Million is a drastic departure from the Bon Iver sound we had grown accustomed to at this point in time. Or at least, that's what I thought