Skip to main content

ALBUM REVIEW: "Urn" by Ne Obliviscaris

   I really like Ne Obliviscaris. Portal of I and Citadel are two of my favourite extreme metal albums of the last 10 years, and both get regular play time. Given this, it's no surprise that I like Urn. Do I love it? Not really. At this stage Ne Obliviscaris have written such a volume of their winding, gothic sounding compositions that these songs unfortunately have the wow factor that their previous material had when I first heard it. I never thought I would say this, but Urn sounds exactly how I thought it would, and for Ne Obliviscaris this is opposite to the desired effect. I've talked about the three album rule before, and while pumping out three of the exact same album renders albums like In Hearts Wake's Ark and The Amity Affliction's This Could Be Heartbreak near unlistenable, the sheer talent and passion on show throughout Urn allows it to well and truly dodge that mire. It's just not as exciting and mysterious as I found their previous work. Having said that, if you've never heard this band before I have no doubt it will blow your mind, because all the NeO trademarks are still here. For me though, as an initiated NeO fan, there just weren't enough fresh ideas to differentiate it from essentially a Citadel 2.0.


   Favourite Tracks: Libera and Urn

   Least Favourite Track: Intra Venus


   Rating: B

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Response To 'Christian' Views On Secular Music

Is there such thing as music that Christians shouldn’t listen to? Should we be dismissive of music with either explicit language or sexual, violent or substance oriented themes? Should anyone even be telling anyone else what they can and can’t listen to? These are questions that are thrown around a lot in Christian circles, and given what I do here on this blog and how that overlaps with my job working for the church, I thought I would share my thoughts on this topic. I’ll say this at the outset so that we’re on the same page – I think any attempt to dictate what people should and shouldn’t listen to is stupid and disrespectful on a fundamental level. I’ll go into detail about why I think that later on, but for now here are some thoughts I have on some of the “Christian” opinions I come across pretty regularly. The first and most ludicrous thing that seems to follow me around is the idea that because I listen to underground genres, particularly on the heavy metal

1 YEAR LATER: "22, A Million" by Bon Iver

   Bon Iver's third studio album turns 1 in about a week (where did that year go?), so I thought it would be interesting to talk a bit about how my impressions of the album have changed - or how they haven't - over the last 12 months. When this album was released I was more excited than I think I ever have been to hear a new album. For Emma, Forever Ago is one of my all time favourites, and I love his self-titled second album too, so I had huge expectations for this album, but was also wary that expectations might ruin my experience of the music. This was particularly the case for 22, A Million , because it is unlike anything else Justin Vernon has released. There have been hints at this more processed, electronic direction previously, like the song "Woods" on the Blood Bank EP and occasional flourishes on Bon Iver , but 22, A Million is a drastic departure from the Bon Iver sound we had grown accustomed to at this point in time. Or at least, that's what I thought

Should Brand New be in my top 20? (CONTENT WARNING: sexual abuse)

    For those who read both top 20 albums lists that I did - one here on thatmusicnerd and one over at Kill Your Stereo - you will have noticed, I'm sure, that one had The Ongoing Concept's album Places at number 1, and the other had Brand New's Science Fiction at the top. Full disclosure, I initially had Brand New at the top of just the one list, but the readership of Kill Your Stereo reacted very strongly against the allegations of sexual misconduct against Brand New frontman Jesse Lacey and so I removed it entirely. In fact, none of the  KYS contributors' top 20 lists featured Science Fiction at all. Of course I was happy to follow the general consensus in regards to whether or not an artist accused of such things should be promoted by a music publication, but I still stand by my opinion that Science Fiction was the best album of 2017 and as such it was number 1 on my thatmusicnerd top 20 list.    2017 has been a pretty crazy year in terms of the fairly b