Skip to main content

10 ALBUMS FROM MY SCHOOL YEARS

   Music has been a big part of my life for a long time, and there are particular album that were important for me at particular times during my time at school. Hopefully you find this an interesting look at some of the records that influenced my musical tastes today, and I wonder if you have had albums that were or are particularly important during school. Let me know in the comments!

   1) The Black Parade - My Chemical Romance

   The Black Parade was actually the last MCR album I heard; up until that stage I had eaten up I Brough You My Bullets..., Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge and even Danger Days to the point of obsession. The Black Parade was one of the big ones for me in high school, though, because it reignited my passion for playing music, in particular playing the guitar. I also think the grander narrative and theatrics of The Black Parade took me by surprise and is one of the reasons I still feel the same about this album now as I did at age 13/14.

   2) Define The Great Line - Underoath

   I started to listen to music with screaming in it at about 14, and from memory the main bands I started listening to were Slipknot, The Amity Affliction and Parkway Drive. For a while it almost seemed like a joke, that I just wanted to listen to the music that people wouldn't like or expect, but I kind of got drawn in by the ferocity of some of the bands I was listening to without really thinking about it or realising it. That type of music was still kind of alien to me, but I was starting to become more accustomed to it. An older friend heard that I was listening to heavy music but was a little annoyed that I wasn't listening to "proper" music, and gave me a list of bands to go and listen to, including Underoath. At age 14 I was the grumpy Christian kid at school who hated being the odd one out and resented others for expecting me to act "normal", whatever that was, and Underoath's Define The Great Line was the first time I realised that it was okay to be a Christian and not be absurdly happy all the time. Define The Great Line was absolutely the album I needed to hear at 14 not only in terms of my personal life but opening up my musical tastes and deeper appreciation of heavy music.

   3) Dear G-D... - Being As An Ocean

   This was pretty big for around the age of 16 for similar reasons to Define The Great Line; it was a new avenue of heavy music - a more melodic, guitar based sound - and I really connected with Joel Quartuccio's lyrics and the delivery he gives them on this album. The combination of pretty, twinkly guitar parts and throat shredding yelling was new to me, and I loved this album for a long time (and still do). The minimalist approach to the songwriting is something I still try to tap into regularly.



   4) Symmetry - New Empire

   I knew "One Heart/Million Voices" for a while before I listened to this album in full but had never listened to it in full; when I eventually did it ended up being on repeat on my iPod nano around age 15. Just had great chorus after great chorus, juicy guitar tones and an amazing voice.

   5) American Idiot - Green Day

   This one goes back a while; one of my very first musical memories is listening to this aged 6 or 7 at home or on the way to soccer early on a Saturday morning. I don't know if it was the fact that it was nothing like what my parents listened to or the fact that it had a big angry "warning" sticker on it, but I was drawn to it unlike anything I had listened to before that. For years American Idiot was the album I listened to that felt like "my" album that no one else had heard, without realising obviously that Green Day were one of the biggest rock bands in the world at that stage.


   6) Nevermind - Nirvana

   Nirvana. Just Nirvana.

   7) Two Lefts Don't Make A Right... But Three Do! - Relient K

   Relient K were a staple for me all the way through early high school, and I could have picked any of their albums up to Forget & Not Slow Down, but went with Two Lefts just because to me it is the album that captures what they were about in the first half of their career perfectly (arguably mmhmm does the same thing). Pop punk bangers with sharp and witty lyrics, talented musicians, great songwriting and a depth that lacks in a lot of todays pop punk records (see my recent review of New Found Glory's Makes Me Sick).

   8) Hungry Ghost - Violent Soho

   At about 16 I went through a significant change in my life when I moved school, and for a while I kind of got caught up in trying to fit into this weird new culture I found myself in every day of the week. Before long I had to take a step back and I realised that I had changed so much without realising it, and resented where I was at, wishing I could change back to the way things were. It was during a stage of intense anxiety about image, culture, friends, school, etc that I found Violent Soho's Hungry Ghost, and it really helped me to just not give a shit about all these new things that had been thrown into my life and really didn't matter. I just loved the loose, rough vibe they had going and in some ways it helped me keep perspective in an environment that in retrospect was kind of toxic.

   9) The Story So Far - The Story So Far

   This is one of the albums I point to when people tell me I just hate on pop punk all the time; this is a great pop punk album. Vocals with actual warmth, grit and impact, and a thick, chunky guitar tone that could be on a sludge album. It was also pretty much the soundtrack to my year 12, and I love to go back to it and remember the memories of that crazy, stressful and hilarious year.

   10) The Script - The Script

   This album was my jam at about 10 or 11, and it's weird how easily it takes me back to that time. I loved the drumming in particular; I used to sit on the bus drumming along like I had any clue how to play the drums, and used to smuggle my iPod to school just so I could listen to it (my parents made me leave it at home for fear of losing it). The Script was also one of the very first CDs I ever bought; I bought this at the same time as The Cat Empire's So Many Nights and still have both copies proudly in my CD shelf at home!


   So what about you; what albums remind you of when you were at school? Let me know, I'd love to hear your stories. As always, thanks for reading.

   Have a good one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Response To 'Christian' Views On Secular Music

Is there such thing as music that Christians shouldn’t listen to? Should we be dismissive of music with either explicit language or sexual, violent or substance oriented themes? Should anyone even be telling anyone else what they can and can’t listen to? These are questions that are thrown around a lot in Christian circles, and given what I do here on this blog and how that overlaps with my job working for the church, I thought I would share my thoughts on this topic. I’ll say this at the outset so that we’re on the same page – I think any attempt to dictate what people should and shouldn’t listen to is stupid and disrespectful on a fundamental level. I’ll go into detail about why I think that later on, but for now here are some thoughts I have on some of the “Christian” opinions I come across pretty regularly. The first and most ludicrous thing that seems to follow me around is the idea that because I listen to underground genres, particularly on the heavy metal

1 YEAR LATER: "22, A Million" by Bon Iver

   Bon Iver's third studio album turns 1 in about a week (where did that year go?), so I thought it would be interesting to talk a bit about how my impressions of the album have changed - or how they haven't - over the last 12 months. When this album was released I was more excited than I think I ever have been to hear a new album. For Emma, Forever Ago is one of my all time favourites, and I love his self-titled second album too, so I had huge expectations for this album, but was also wary that expectations might ruin my experience of the music. This was particularly the case for 22, A Million , because it is unlike anything else Justin Vernon has released. There have been hints at this more processed, electronic direction previously, like the song "Woods" on the Blood Bank EP and occasional flourishes on Bon Iver , but 22, A Million is a drastic departure from the Bon Iver sound we had grown accustomed to at this point in time. Or at least, that's what I thought

Should Brand New be in my top 20? (CONTENT WARNING: sexual abuse)

    For those who read both top 20 albums lists that I did - one here on thatmusicnerd and one over at Kill Your Stereo - you will have noticed, I'm sure, that one had The Ongoing Concept's album Places at number 1, and the other had Brand New's Science Fiction at the top. Full disclosure, I initially had Brand New at the top of just the one list, but the readership of Kill Your Stereo reacted very strongly against the allegations of sexual misconduct against Brand New frontman Jesse Lacey and so I removed it entirely. In fact, none of the  KYS contributors' top 20 lists featured Science Fiction at all. Of course I was happy to follow the general consensus in regards to whether or not an artist accused of such things should be promoted by a music publication, but I still stand by my opinion that Science Fiction was the best album of 2017 and as such it was number 1 on my thatmusicnerd top 20 list.    2017 has been a pretty crazy year in terms of the fairly b